1.30.2013

it's just delicious....and super healthy!

A Macro Bowl....






I am truly fond of any meal that comes in a bowl!

When I am traveling I am also constantly drawn to this thing called a Macro Bowl.

Macrobiotics is a way of life that has pretty particular guidelines. 
The Kushi Institute is the leading organization for this dietary theory.

They love sea veggies, legumes, brown rice, and tofu.
I have to disagree on the tofu part, but, this is why there are thousands of dietary theories and why the best way to live is to grab the best parts of the ones that make sense to you and your body.

The best Macro Bowl I ever encountered was at Cafe Gratitude in Long Beach, Ca.
This sparked a true love affair with seaweed, sauces, and eating out of a bowl!

I came across this recipe through Alicia Silverstone's blog
The Kind Life and adapted it to my own kitchen.

MACRO BOWL w/ marinated Tempeh

Ingredients:

marinade....
1 Tbsp organic tamari
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 garlic clove pressed or minced

sauce....

1/4 c tahini
1 Tbsp brown rice miso paste
arame seaweed soaked 20 min and drained... or whatever you have on hand

2 tsp lemon juice

2 tsp grated ginger
warm water

4 ounces tempeh...I used flax
4 c kale steamed 5 mins

1 c uncooked quinoa cooked with 2 c water

sauerkraut
avocado slices

sesame seeds

Marinate Tempeh:


-combine tamari, maple syrup, rice vinegar, and garlic into a shallow bowl
- cut tempeh in 1/4 inch slices
- place tempeh into bowl and coat both sides with the marinade
-put into refrigerator for at least 20 mins up to 8 hrs

Dressing

- mix tahini, miso, lemon juice, and ginger into a paste
- add warm water to get a sauce consistency

Tempeh

- lightly oil skillet on med heat
- saute on both sides until golden pouring extra sauce into pan mid-way through cooking

Assembly!



This was far tastier than I could have imagined. The tempeh, which is the healthiest choice of soy since it is fermented, and sauce are amazing!!!

There are so many variations and get creative with what you add on.

I am slightly obsessed with the company

The BEST sauerkraut on the market and also try their Veggie Zing.
Their products taste far better than any I have made myself.
Sometimes it's just better to let the pros do it!

Enjoy the leftovers....can't wait for lunch!!

xoxo











No comments:

Post a Comment