2.01.2012

Lentil Loaf Goodness

This is the second try for a Lentil Loaf. My first try ended up being more of a lentil crumble! From what I read.....I am not the only one with this experience.

I found the perfect recipe!!!

It's moist and yummy and smells outrageous.....according to Josh!
When you spend an hour in the kitchen it feels good to hear those words from your husband walking in the door......."what smells so damn good"!

I urge you to give it a try and let me know how it comes out.......would you tweak the recipe?

Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

makes 1 loaf

1 cup lentils ( I use the TruRoots sprouted)
3 cups veg stock 
1 large yellow onion
1 large carrot
1 stalk celery
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic
1 cup breadcrumbs ( I used gluten free)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (toasted)
3 tbsp ground flax mixed w/ 1/2 cup H2O ( I used the MILA chia mix)
1 tsp oregano ( I used Braggs spice blend)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp pure maple syrup ( grade B)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar ( used red wine)

preheat oven to 350

In a small bowl, combine the flax(or chia) and the 1/2 c water. set aside.

simmer together the lentils and broth 25 mins
( If using the sprouted, follow directions on bag)

prepare veggies
chop onion
grate carrot
dice celery
( I threw the carrot and celery into the processor)

saute onion and celery in evoo over medium high heat for 6 mins, or until tender, not caramelized.
add garlic and carrot and cook for about another 4 mins.

Toast walnuts in oven for 6-7 mins. Add them to the onion/carrot/celery/garlic mixture on stove and stir well.

Add oregano or spice blend, salt, and pepper as well and take it off the stove and transfer into a large bowl.

Add breadcrumbs, flax/water and cooked lentils and toss well. Press mixture into a oiled loaf pan and set aside.

topping.

In a small bowl combine ketchup, maple syrup and vinegar.
Spread on top of loaf and bake for 40 mins.

( next time I would press half of the mixture, top with sauce, put the rest into the pan and top with sauce.
The sauce is so good!)

Serve with side salad or any green veggies......the more color the better!


(original recipe site)



No comments:

Post a Comment